Working With Children & Families Affected by Parental Substance Use
Those taking part in this course must have completed the Essential Protecting People E-Learning Modules: Getting it Right for Every Child (GIRFEC); Child Protection and Adult Support and Protection.
Name of the session
Working with Children and Families Affected by Parental Substance Use
Description of course
This course aims to support and empower practitioners and communities to feel confident and competent when working together for children, young people and families affected by problematic alcohol and / or drug use.
Who is if for?
The general, specific and intensive contact workforce.
This course is open to front line staff and managers in the public, private and third sectors across Perth and Kinross, who have a specific designated responsibility for child protection issues as part of their role, and / or those who carry out direct work with children, young people and their families; as well as those with indirect or occasional working contact with them.
Members of the local community are also welcome to apply for this course.
This course will be of particular interest to members of the public, people who work in local communities, Named Persons in Health, Education and Services for Children and Young People, Social Workers, Lead Professionals, Substance Use Services and GP’s.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course participants should:
- Have an increased awareness of the risks to children and young people associated with parental alcohol and drug use and the impact on their development and safety and wellbeing;
- Have a heightened awareness of the need to listen to the experiences of children and young people from their own perspectives;
- Feel more able to identify children and young people whose experiences may be more hidden;
- Have become familiar with the Perth and Kinross GOPR guide and toolkit and how to use it in practice;
- Know how and when to share concerns.
How to book
Five opportunities for this course are available to book via the ECS Learning Hub -
Upcoming course dates will also be advertised locally.